Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This Goes Out to a Very Special Guy . . .

"You know, a lot of people sacrificed in order for me to make it to the podium today, but one person stands out above all the rest. One person's tireless efforts helped ensure my victory this afternoon: Me."

I've always wished that an athlete would make that speech because I have to believe most of them are secretly thinking it. And now one finally has!

After winning a stage victory today in the Tour de France, Thomas Voeckler of France explained to the crowd, "I dedicate this victory to myself." Okay, so *technically* he followed it up by also dedicating the victory to his son and his wife, but notably Voeckler's first dedication went out to his #1 guy: Thomas Voeckler.

It's possible that his wife may have moved up in the standings if only she'd been there: as Voeckler explained, she "actually didn't see me win as she was returning home in a plane."

You know who would never even think about missing Thomas Voeckler racing in the Tour de France?

Thomas Voeckler.

That man is a prince.

No comments: